Choosing an appropriate sample size is a common problem and should be given due consideration in any research proposal, as an inadequate sample size invariably leads to wasted resources. This course gives a practical introduction to sample size determination in the context of some commonly used statistical hypothesis tests.
Examples from a scientific background will be used to highlight the problems associated with sample size determination and suggest potential solutions. Delegates will have the opportunity to discuss general issues related to sample size.
The course will cover the following:
- Concept of significance and power in relation to hypothesis tests
- Sample size determination for one sample, two samples and paired samples for both t-tests (means) and z-tests (proportions)
- Practical problems associated with sample size determination and possible solutions
- The role of confidence intervals
- Why it can be difficult to determine sample size
DAILY TIMETABLE (subject to minor changes)
|Time||Session / Description|
A working knowledge of sampling distributions is assumed, alongside confidence intervals and statistical significance tests for both means and proportions
Terms and Conditions
- Student registrations: Attendees must provide proof of full time student status at the time of booking to qualify for student registration rate (valid student ID card or authorised letter of enrolment).
- Additional discounts are available for multiple registrations.
- Cost includes course materials, lunch and refreshments.
- Delegates are provided with temporary licences for the software(s) used in the course and will be instructed to download and install the software prior to the start of the course. (Alternatively, laptops can be hired for a fee of £10.00 (ex. VAT) per day).
- If you need assistance in locating hotel accommodation in the region, please notify us at the time of booking.
- Payment of course fees required prior to the course start date.
- Registration closes 5-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
- 100% fee returned for cancellations made over 28-calendar days prior to start of the course.
- 50% fee returned for cancellations made 14-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
- No fee returned for cancellations made less than 14-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
The number of delegates is restricted. Please register early to guarantee your place.