The course focuses on practical programming needs arising when dealing with large datasets, multiple data sources and the programming tools available within Stata.
The key deliverable from the course is to make sure that all participants are comfortable in establishing a routine for more complex tasks and automating parts - if not all of your work. This will save you time and ensure reproducibility of your work, which as a result will simplify collaboration with colleagues.
Specifically designed for large datasets analyses, automating repetitive tasks efficiently, you will be able to make your Stata programs execute more efficiently and time will be devoted to your specific programming needs during the course.
Hands-on sessions with exercises and automating of your own work, you are welcome to bring your datasets and programs.
Day 1 – Managing data efficiently with programming elements
- Stata Overview
- Managing Working sessions
- Data management
- Extended functions for generating new variables
- Scalars and Matrices
- Manipulating stored results
- creating output tables
- Programming basics
Day 2 – Introduction to Stata programming
- Extended macro functions
- Looping and Conditional statements
- Building Do-files with program elements
- Temporary files
- Preserving data and recovering data
- Passing Arguments to .do files
- Program in do-files
Day 3 – Advanced Stata programming
- Writing own programs and creating new commands
- Use of arguments and syntax
- Generic Ado files
- Automating output
- Data and reporting
- Interacting with APIs for adding information
- A Prior knowledge of Stata is assumed.
- Some prior experience of Stata programming is assumed for the advanced sections of the course
Terms & Conditions
- Student registrations: Attendees must provide proof of full time student status at the time of booking to qualify for student registration rate (valid student ID card or authorised letter of enrolment).
- Additional discounts are available for multiple registrations.
- Cost includes course materials, lunch and refreshments.
- Attendees are provided with temporary licences for the software(s) used in the course and will be instructed to download and install the software prior to the start of the course. Alternatively, we can also provide laptops for an additional cost of £12.00 per day.
- If you need assistance in locating hotel accommodation in the region, please notify us at the time of booking.
- Payment of course fees required prior to the course start date.
- Registration closes 5-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
- 100% fee returned for cancellations made over 28-calendar days prior to start of the course.
- 50% fee returned for cancellations made 14-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
- No fee returned for cancellations made less than 14-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
The number of seats available is restricted. Please register early to guarantee your place.