This course is for professionals and researchers from all academic disciplines who are new to Stata and assumes only limited statistical knowledge and experience of using statistical software.
Participants will be introduced to Stata’s Graphical User Interface and will be shown how manage and prepare datasets for analysis. The fundamentals of data analysis and visualization will also be taught. Participants will also be introduced to two of the main data analysis tools:
- Linear regression
- logistic regression.
Participants will be taught the statistical theory behind these methods, and they will apply these methods to specially chosen datasets using examples from economic, social, and medical research. For example, the Growing Up in Ireland dataset will be analysed during the sessions.
Session 1: Getting started with Stata
- User interface
- Loading & saving data
- Protocols for storing data
- Importing data from other formats
- Working with Stata: Click and go; Command line; Do files
- Initial exploration of the data
- Data storage
- Syntax of Stata commands
- Getting help and on-line resources
Session 2: Transforming variables and creating new variables
- Generating variables
- egen: extensions to generate
- Recoding variables
- Renaming variables
- Labelling data
Session 3: Working with String Variables and Time/Date Variables
- Editing Strings
- Extracting sub-strings from strings
- Converting strings to numeric
- Converting time/date variables to Stata format
Session 4: Data Structure
- Combining datasets: appending and merging
- Aggregating data to create new datasets
Session 1: Refresher on probability & Descriptive statistics
- Measures of central tendency; measures of dispersion
- Cross tabulations and correlations
- Testing for differences between groups
Session 2: Statistical theory
- Confidence intervals
- Hypothesis testing
- Type 1 and type 2 errors
Session 3: Linear regression
- Regression theory
- Explanation of Ordinary Least Squares and properties of OLS estimates
- Interpretation of results
Session 4: Logistic regression
- Short-comings of the linear probability model
- Theory of logistic regression
- Maximum likelihood estimation
- Interpretation of coefficients: odds ratios
Principal texts for pre-and post- course reading:
- Alan C. Acock. 2018. A Gentle Introduction to Stata, Sixth Edition. Texas: Stata Press.
- Angrist, Joshua & Jörn-Steffen Pischke (2014) Mastering ’metrics: The path from cause to effect. New Jersey: Princeton University Press.
- Rowntree, Derek (2018) Statistics without tears: An introduction for non-mathematicians. Penguin
|Time||Session / Description|
||Arrival & Registration *Only for Course 1*
Arrival and Registration from 9am for other courses.
This course is for professionals and researchers from all academic disciplines who are new to Stata.
Terms & Conditions
- Student registrations: Attendees must provide proof of full time student status at the time of booking to qualify for student registration rate (valid student ID card or authorised letter of enrolment).
- Additional discounts are available for multiple registrations.
- Cost includes course materials, lunch and refreshments.
- Delegates are provided with temporary licences for the principal software package(s) used in the delivery of the course. It is essential that these temporary training licenses are installed on your computers prior to the start of the course. We can provide laptops to attendees. Prior notice is required and additional charges will apply.
- Should you need assistance in locating hotel accommodation in the immediate vicinity of the course location, please notify us at the time of booking.
- Payment of course fees required prior to the course start date.
- Registration closes 5-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
- 100% fee returned for cancellations made more than 28-calendar days prior to start of the course.
- 50% fee returned for cancellations made 14-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
- No fee returned for cancellations made less than 14-calendar days prior to the start of the course.
The number of attendees is restricted. Please register early to guarantee your place.